Saturday, December 10, 2011

My Grandmother's Coffee Cake

from Mike Dewees

serves 8


1 cup unsifted flour 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
4 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift dry ingredients together twice. Beat egg and milk together; combine with dry ingredients. Add melted butter. Spread in a buttered 8 by 8-inch square cake pan. Sprinkle generously with more sugar and cinnamon. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm.

This delicious coffee cake should really be called "Grannie's Coffee Cake". My brother and my cousins truly relished this easy-to-prepare quick bread, but I always had trouble with the appellation 'Grannie' even though that is how I addressed my grandmother. So even now I must still have that issue because I submitted the recipe as "My Grandmother's Coffee Cake."

No comments:

Post a Comment